How to rip a DVD with HandBrake
"Looking to liberate the movies in your DVD collection from the confines of their plastic-and-metal prison so you can enjoy them on your iPhone, iPod, iPad, and Apple TV? Well look no further—all you need is some free software and to follow a few steps."
Basically this is what you'll do:
- Install HandBrake (free software) and VLC Media Player (also free software).
- Put your DVD in the DVD drive and in HandBrake select it ("Source").
- Select your device on the right:
- iPod Touch
- I like to "Preview" (you can do that via the Preview button on the same toolbar where you selected "Source").
- If looks good, select "Start" and let it rip!
Now you can watch it on your computer. You'll need to then sync your iPad with your computer in order to view the movie on the iPad. Note to watch any movie on your iPad, select the Video app (NOT the iTunes app!)